Not content to see Arizona be the sole butt of jokes about being an Orwellian police state, Pennsylvania State representative Daryl Metcalfe has introduced House Bill 2479– apparently another example of F.A.I.R. inspired authoritarian nonsense.
This shouldn’t come as a shock to Pennsylvania, as it possesses “The Most Racist City in America,” is home to both noted immigrant basher Dan Smeriglio and the violent neo-nazi gang “Keystone State Skinheads,” to say nothing of the disgusting spectacle surrounding the horrific beating death of Luis Eduardo Ramirez Zavala by six high school football players in Shenandoah, PA.
* Creating a new criminal offense for illegal aliens who violate federal law by either willfully failing to register as an alien or failing to possess proper proof of such registration when stopped for another primary offense such as a traffic violation.
* Requiring law enforcement officers to attempt to verify the immigration status of suspected illegal aliens.
* Creating a new criminal offense for persons who are unlawfully present in the United States and are an unauthorized alien applying for work.
* Allowing law enforcement officers to arrest illegal aliens for any public offense which would warrant removal from the United States.
* Creating a new felony offense for intentionally smuggling illegal aliens for profit; and authorizing law enforcement officers to impound any vehicle driven by an illegal alien, or used to transport illegal aliens.
House Bill 2479 also incorporates several other previously introduced National Security Begins at Home provisions, including cracking down on “Sanctuary” cities, employers who refuse to use the federal government’s FREE e-verify system to verify the immigration status of potential employees or that knowingly hire illegal aliens; and ending access to public benefits without verification of lawful status within the United States.
Considering that Metcalfe essentially plagiarized the Arizona bill, the same criticisms about SB1070 can be leveled against HB2479:
-The bill is too broad in its scope, leaving the duty of determining what constitutes an “illegal alien” up to the personal prejudices of the individual officers
-Gives legislative approval of racial profiling, unless there’s a silent epidemic of undocumented Canadian or Swedish workers in Pennsylvania
-Forces police officers to perform tasks outside the normal scope of their duties– tasks that they are not trained to carry out
-Overworks police officers, leading to diminished capacity for their primary jobs
-Blurs the separation between federal and state governments. Federal agencies have their own enforcement arms; the local police do not enforce ATF regulations, nor do they perform tax audits or conduct groundwater testing.
Of course, both this bill and Arizona’s SB1070 carry the stamp of approval from F.A.I.R.’s Dan Stein, which raises the suspicion that Metcalfe didn’t draft THIS bill either, instead having it handed to him by F.A.I.R. F.A.I.R. has a colorful past when it comes to racial issues, this being thoroughly dissected by Rachel Maddow.
What’s ironic is that HB2479 explicitly intends for the state to crack down on “sanctuary cities.” This is probably lost on the majority of its supporters that advocate a “smaller government,” as it means the STATE government would have legislative power over CITY government. Government overreach is government overreach, regardless if it’s done in service to a law that panders to someone’s racist paranoia.
Most ridiculous is Metcalfe’s assertation that this law will “save money” for Pennsylvania. It costs Pennsylvania citizens $34,844 per year to house 1 inmate. If 140,000 inmates are added to prison system, that comes out to $4,878,160,000 per year. This is, charitably, at odds with the $728 million Metcalfe claims to have annually projected saving from this bill.